Luckily for all of us, our wonderful US customer has chosen to base their entire R&D team in Cape Town. They have made huge investments in their CT office and are here to stay and grow their team. If you are interested in research and development, complex applications, pure development and learning new things, then this is the right company for you. Based in the northern suburbs, this organization is very progressive and offers generous flexible hours and other benefits.
- Provide L2-L3 administration, troubleshooting and maintenance:
- Firewalls, IDS/IPS, VPN, appliance security and cloud security.
- Routing, switching and wireless networks.
- VMware vCenter and hypervisors such as ESXi.
- Server hardware and components (eg, storage controllers).
- Storage infrastructure (SAN and vSAN).
- Administration of Linux/Windows systems.
- Active Directory / Identity Management Administration.
- Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Google Cloud Computing.
- Network and systems monitoring (Zabbix, PRTG, vRealize).
- Manage/maintain security infrastructure and toolsets. Firewalls, network equipment, vulnerability management systems, SIEM, etc.
- Assist with IT and security related projects, deployments and infrastructure maintenance including backups, business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Maintain/enhance the security of IT systems through proactive monitoring and event management.
- Analyze / triage security events, alarms detected by the security information and event management system (SIEM).
- Respond to security incidents/threats logged on the service desk and correct/mitigate if necessary.
- Requests for action relating to the computer network, security and VMware infrastructure are recorded on the service desk.
- Assist with other system administrators as needed.
- Keep abreast of industry trends in cybersecurity and provide feedback to businesses regarding improvements, innovations and best practices.
- Assist in the design, implementation and management of endpoint management and security solutions; i.e. anti-malware, anti-virus systems and mobile device management (MDM).
- Automation of repetitive tasks.
- Conduct vulnerability assessments on the perimeter and mission-internal critical endpoints and provide remediation as needed.
- Performing intrusion tests on public systems.
- Manage security awareness campaigns within the organization to maintain a healthy security posture.
- Align the organizational security roadmap with proven industry cybersecurity frameworks such as NIST.
- Provide technical input into corporate IT security standards and best practices in accordance with industry recognized standards such as ISO27001 and SOC 2.
- Develop/maintain security measures around the organization’s cloud footprint.
- Drive the adoption and implementation of an effective data protection strategy that is aligned with industry standards, legal requirements and contractual obligations.
- Act as the custodian of company policies relating to data security and privacy.
- Occasionally assist the engineering team in software security testing and provide system hardening feedback.
- Training and upskilling of juniors.
- The following certifications would be preferred:
- Microsoft MCSE / Cisco CCNA / VMware
- Linux/Azure/AWS/Google Cloud
- CE Council CEH / Security + / CISSP
Technical skills and experience:
- 5 years of experience in a network and security support environment working on network and server infrastructure both on-premises and in the cloud.
- At least 5 years of experience in the following areas is required:
- Experience in network administration and network support for firewalls, switches, wireless client connections (Fortigate and Cisco) and VPN.
- Windows 2012 and newer server administration and Active Directory / DNS/DHCP administration.
- At least 3 years of experience in the following areas is required:
- Linux/Unix management.
- Backup and recovery.
- Previous experience as a system administrator.
- Proven ability to administer, configure virtual machine environments (VMware ESXi), including resource optimization and security and infrastructure administration).
- Exposure and support experience within a software development house.
- Knowledge of Bash and Shell Scripting is also a distinct advantage.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of belonging and an independent work ethic.
- Process oriented and structured.
- Customer service oriented with a desire to engage people and help.
- Positive attitude and ability to achieve personal growth and technical results.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and passport.
- Own transport for daily trips to the office.
- Must be able to travel occasionally.
- Work from the office 2-3 days a week and work from home the other days.
PS Even if you feel you don’t have all the skills listed or if this specification is not what you are looking for, please feel free to send your CV as we likely have other opportunities that may be of interest to you. For a more comprehensive and updated list of the opportunities we offer, visit our website – [URL Removed]
- IT technical specialist
- internet security
- Server infrastructure